Monday, May 12, 2014

Why Missionaries Need Faith

May 5, 2014
Sister Jacobson and I - she was the "oldest" sister missionary meaning has been out the longest... but in a few days it will be me because even the sisters I came out with were not in the MTC when I started..

Sis Miller and I

Karee, Sis Miller, and Sis Jacobson

All the missionaries in Karee's zone
So much is happening in the Cambridge 3rd branch!! There is no doubt that I am going to finish this with a sprint!

Saturday evening Patricia got baptized and she was confirmed yesterday as a new member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She was just beaming all day yesterday. We went over to the Young women's president's house yesterday to discuss how we are going to get the young women more involved in the lessons. It is going to be so much fun!
Hermana Garica and Karee

Karee, Hermana Cruz, and Hermana Garcia
Sad news, Hermana Garcia is going to be leaving... She is getting transferred to Providence Rhode Island. I will be getting Hermana Loudie Wednesday evening.

This week was a week of faith. I have been thinking a lot about the people we are teaching and more about what they need. I feel like sometimes I know exactly what they need, but don't know how to help them find out for themselves that they really need it. 

The other day, I was studying in Alma about the Atonement and felt the need to look up the story about the father who took his son to Jesus to be healed (Mark 9) along with the commentary given by Elder Talmage in Jesus the Christ. I realized that I feel like sometimes I am the father bringing the people I teach to the Savior. I don't always know what they need nor how to help them, but I do know who can help them. The Savior! 

 He brought up a very interesting idea that the boy could not exercise his own faith because of the devil that was in him. Sometimes the people we are teaching don't know how to exercise their faith. In verse 22, it says that the father pleads with Jesus  "but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us." 
Elder Talmage mentions that when he says "us" he is showing that he has taken the case of his son and made it his own. His son's problems became the father's problems. That is how I feel sometimes. I worry about the things that the people I teach worry about. I take these problems to the Lord, fast and pray. I have received promptings and answers that I know are not my own. And lives are being changed.

 14 And again, the angel said: Behold, the Lord hath aheard the prayers of his people, and also the bprayers of his servant, Alma,who is thy father; for he has cprayed with much faith concerning thee that thou mightest be brought to the dknowledge of the truth;therefore, for this purpose have come to econvince thee of the power and authority of God, that the fprayers of his servants might be answered according to their faith.

I know that Heavenly Father has heard our prayers (both the missionaries and those learning). I know that He loves his children and He sends people to answer our prayers. How wonderful a blessing it is to be able to act on faith and take others to the Savior. I know that each of us can faithfully pray to know who may be lacking faith or is struggling and how we might be able to help them with our faith.

I challenge each of you that when you wake up in the morning to ask Heavenly Father who you might be able to help and how you can do it.
Boston Harbor

We went on a tour last week. There is SO MUCH HISTORY HERE! I really liked this place. The whole thing was a play and we were involved... I got to throw some tea off the boat.


Paul Revere


Stopped in the Bruin's Pro Shop. Didn't find much but had a few good pics

No comments:

Post a Comment