Sunday, August 18, 2013

One Tough Cookie!

July 29, 2013




Our first flat tire

I won't lie, this week was a tough one. Which is an interesting because when I hear tough I think about being drenched in sweat walking miles and miles in heat. That is not actually how this week went, not even close. It was hard because we are so emotionally invested in what we are doing, or at least I am trying to be. For me the reason that it was just so hard was because I feel like I try and I fail, so I try again and I fail. I am not talking about knocking on doors. We don't do that. I am talking about I try to plan a lesson and get stumped. We have been taught to teach as Jesus taught. Which means one on one and personal to each person.  When we plan lessons we think of that person's specific needs. Sometimes that is a whole lot harder than it sounds because we are trying to make the needs specific. Then we make a list of specific things that we can do for that person to meet those needs. I have been teaching these people and I should know them and should know what they need, but for some reason I/we hit a wall with most of the people and in planning most of the lessons. That is where it gets hard for me. Because I start thinking about how I should know how to help them. I start thinking about how I should be at a certain point, but for some reason I haven't been able to reach it.
I feel like this is something everyone seems to feel. None of us are perfect and at some point or another, we all seem to fall short of expectations. It doesn't matter if they are our own expectations or those of others, it still is really hard when we don't quite met expectations. We start to feel inadequate. But we shouldn't. We forget the truth that we all know. That we don't have to reach a certain point before the atonement of Jesus Christ can lift us and make up the difference. (Mom please try to find Brad wilcox talk about His Grace is Sufficient... that will better explain how I feel and what I learned)  Mom note: Here it is.http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=1966

In the moment it is really hard, but looking back, it wasn't as bad as I was thinking. We were able to see a lot of people and meet people we probably would not have been able to meet if we had been able to keep all the plans we had made. 

You one of the best things is that I am able to know that my Heavenly Father is aware of each of His children. I don't know if we made an impact on any of the people at the Goodyear place, but He knew that the sister we were going to go see was going to feel sick. He knew that it would be better for us to find the flat tire when there was a tire shop close by. 
Napoleon Dynamite(hilarious movie)
 My companion sister miller is getting transferred. Guess I still hold strong to not having a companion for more two transfers. Just a week longer than all the rest. She is actually going to be going to my home, Boston. I am excited for her and excited for her to experience the people there. They are so great! And I will be here with Sister Hobbs (English speaking) over two wards and the newly forming Spanish branch. We are going to have a lot of work to do. I am excited! Sister Hobbs is from the small town in Idaho where Neapolian Dynamite is from. Yes, she was on the bus and was one of the girls screaming, though I am not sure what even happens in that part of the movie.
We did get a flat tire this week and it was a lot of fun. I was all ready to change it, and was actually in the process, but some lady came over from the neighboring oil changing place and took over. It was great because it gave us something to laugh about.

Sis Miller

Sis Miller carrying the spare

Love the attire in changing a flat tire

The job was a little greasy, but it's all good

Waiting for the tire repair
This week was pretty good though. I did find out that I can't eat mashed potatoes anymore... that was a bit painful. But now I know and I will avoid at all costs!
I love you all!
Love, Sister Brown


No comments:

Post a Comment