Sunday, November 3, 2013

Be Christlike Not Just do Christian Things

September 30, 2013

As a missionary I have been seeking revelation on how I can become better and how I can best help those around me. It is interesting how you get answers sometimes. We were in district meeting Friday and someone was asking how they could help someone they were teaching. The words that came out of my mouth weren't my own but they worked and then I was able to apply them to the question that I had in mind. "Some people can't see the progress that they have made, but when others see them they can see a really big change." (or something like that).
The answer that I have received isn't that I don't have anything to improve on because I have made big changes in my life (changes that I couldn't see) but it was more that I have grown and I have learned that I have to do something more to receive more guidance. I do know what I need to do to receive this guidance. I started  to read from Preach my Gospel. (mom note: this is a missionary training book)

I read, "Just as vital as what you do, however, is who you are." (pmg 115). It then hit me that I have been worried too much about how I was spending my time and making sure we had enough to do. I was focused on getting things done (even though I didn't get down when we didn't have much to show at the end of the day as far as lessons). So how do I change? How do I become better? Well, it is like anything else. It starts with a desire, then I have to do my part, I have to act through study, and setting goals. One of the best examples was Christ Himself.

Christ asked us to follow Him (Matt. 4:19 and Mark 1:17). His disciples set an example for us on how we should respond, "and they straightway left their nets and followed him," (Matt 4:20). He set the example, He led the way, and then He told us who we should be, "Therefore, what cmanner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even das I am." (3 Nephi 27:27)

My question then becomes, How do I become more like Christ?
      1. Learn 
              2. Do

For this next week, I have to do my part to learn what Christ did and how He did it. I am going to be studying some Christlike attributes such as: Faith, hope, charity, virtue, knowledge, patience, humility.... (He made a really long list of to do's). Then make one goal at a time. Take it slow because I want to make sure to learn and that I am able to apply this to my life (not just here on the mission). 

 Preach my Gospel counsels us:
   Learning to be Christlike is a life long pursuit
    You follow Christ and develop attributes--- one action and one decision at a time (remember to be patient with yourself)
   Becoming like Christ requires exercising faith, repentance, keeping covenants, and receiving increased measure of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end.

Also, we cannot become perfect like Him by ourselves, we must try our best and then use the Atonement to make up the difference. Even when we are trying to be like Him, we need Him.

Karee and Isabel at church
Karee, Isabel, and Sis Hobbs at Isabel's confirmation

No comments:

Post a Comment