Sunday, September 1, 2013

Blessed!

August 19, 2013


Sis Hobbs(Karee's companion) going on splits(this is where the companions split up and go with a member to visit less active members or investigators)with one of the young women from church

Karee on splits with one of the young women.


One thing I really like is that when ever you try to take the time to be grateful for what you have been given by Heavenly Father, He always finds ways to bless you more.

This week has been one of those weeks where I have been blessed more and more each day. Honestly it started out as one of those weeks that I was feeling like I wasn't doing my best. Like I wasn't as good as what the people here actually need. One morning in particular as we were planning to have a first visit with a Spanish lady and I was feeling like I haven't been good enough at keeping up my Spanish, we got a phone call from the Assistants to the presidents. They wanted to know if we would like to take a mini missionary (a young woman 16-18 who was thinking about serving a mission and wanted to see what the life of a missionary is like). We, thinking it was going to be for the week end agree. "Great so she will come Saturday night and we will pic her up Friday night." Wait, what? Yep that's right, we have her for a whole week. It was during that time when I was feeling so unqualified that they called to tell us that they had been praying and felt that we would be able to set good example and give her a great experience. Heavenly Father's way of saying, not only have I trusted you with the people in two wards, not only have I trusted you with the people to teach (Golder, Isabel, Nilsa, Jim, and a few others), not only have I trusted you to help Sister Hobbs by being an example of an "older missionary," but now I am going to trust you to take care and make sure that this future missionary has a good time and learns about what the life of a missionary really is. 

Isabel is really perfect. She has such a desire to study and to learn. All we really have to do is answer an occasional question and give her some reading assignments. She has a friend who recently got off his mission in Paraguay, who has been helping her out a lot as well. She has really been prepared to receive the Gospel. This week we saw her Sunday after church, then Monday with the Hererra family for dinner and family home evening, then Tuesday night where we talked about modern day prophets and reviewed the Plan of Salvation pamphlet. Thursday we brought her some left over dinner (spicy, yummy! Ghanaian food) and some papusas (also very delicious!) She brought us some fresh veggies from the garden/farm where she lives. We talked about the baptismal covenant and what that really means. We talked about repentance and a little about the word of wisdom. Which went along well with the fact that we ate healthy food (that was not planned). She went to Montreal for the weekend and is going to have a really busy week, but she said she would read Our Search for Happiness along with Mosiah 3 and 4. She loves to read. Her friend, Cody, got a hold of our number and called us to see if we could set up things for the baptism. He wants to baptize her. We were so grateful that he had thought of that because we had no way of getting a hold of him to ask. 

It looks like I will be getting a new companion in about a week and a half. A spanish sister so that we can start focusing on the Spanish group here. It will be different. And that means I won't really be able to teach Isabel anymore. Which is really quite sad. I have really enjoyed her real intent and her desire to do what Heavenly Father wants her to do.
She had prayed about coming to church. Then she called the number that was listed online. When the Bishop's wife called her back she knew she had to go. She went and she really felt the Spirit. She is very aware of the Spirit and says that she feels it every time she is around us. A little when she prays and at certain points when she is at church. But always when she is with us. Her prayers are sincere and heartfelt and she always give thanks for us. I don't feel adequate in teaching her because I know she deserves that best, as does everyone. It is an honor that Heavenly Father would trust us with her. 

The lesson with Heidi, a young lady starting a family (friend of the Rodriguez family) was hard. I am not up to par, with my Spanish. But she said that she wanted to learn more and she was at church on Sunday! There were a couple other non-members at church. It is becoming really obvious that Heavenly Father has something big and something great planned for the people here and He is going to make sure it gets done. I am excited!

Golder called and told us she misses us. Sometimes I feel like we go and just sit while she watches TV or cooks or we talk to her. Sometimes I wonder if she really even likes us coming over, but I guess she does. 

Sundays are now really long. I started my day at 4:45 and was able to get some studies in. We had a meeting at 8 and then Spanish group started at 9. Then it was time for round two. First ward seemed a little bit longer. But we made it. We stayed at church for a total of 8 hours in total. Time well spent I would say.Then we went on splits once again (yes I lucked out and went with Alicia.) We had a great dinner appointment and we able to have two lessons, talking about the Atonement and the importance of faith in Christ. But the best part was that we got to stop by Sister William's house and see her new baby. Not even a week old. She is tiny! And adorable. There is always a special spirit in the homes where there are new born babies. 

We had a visit with Jim and his wife. We had prayed about what we should talk to them about and we both agreed that the Plan of Salvation was what he needed. We talked about how he was a lot like my father. How he is constantly looking for ways to serve others and how he has a sincere love for people. We watched Earthly Father Heavenly Father Mormon message. I love that one because it reminds me how I really am a daughter of Heavenly Father and how much He really does love me.

I want all of you to know, that no matter how you feel, no matter how inadequate or unqualified you feel, you are a child of God. He has a plan for you. He wants you to be happy. And He is willing to help you find greater happiness and purpose in life if you just ask Him. He loves you and He wants to bless you. He sent His Son to atone for our sins so that He would know exactly how to help lift us in our lowest points. Take some time to be thankful for the things that you have and you will realize that He has given you so much!

I love you and hope all is well.
Love always,
Sister K. Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment